The Eldorado National Forest, which can be found around an hour to the east of Sacramento, is a fantastic area of natural beauty in the Sierra Nevada. While most of the forest can be found in California, part of it even extends into the neighboring state of Nevada. Since becoming a national forest in 1910, the Eldorado National Forest has welcomed travelers from far and wide to enjoy nature at its best. There are plenty of outdoorsy activities for you and your family to enjoy at the Eldorado National Forest and you'll see why there are over 2 million visitors each year.
Things to Do
- If you or any members of your family love mountain biking, you should be sure to bring your bicycles. There are plenty of different areas, campgrounds, and trails, where you can take your mountain bikes out for a spin!
- If you don't think you'll be able to do everything you want to do in just one day, you should consider either renting a cabin or getting even closer to nature by going camping.
- Don't forget to bring your rods and some bait. The Eldorado National Forest has plenty of places to go fishing. Whether you prefer fishing by a lake or along a river, you can do both here!
- Feel like stretching your legs and taking in the sights? Make sure to visit any of the many trails around the forest.
- Take to the water and enjoy either boating, swimming, waterskiing, or windsurfing!
Eldorado National Forest Insider Tips
- If you'd like a quieter camping experience, try to avoid staying on Friday and Saturday nights as these tend to be the busiest days of the week. If you're staying for a while, consider arriving on a Sunday evening.
- Gerle Creek is often recommended as one of the best places in the Eldorado National Forest. Make sure you don't miss it!
- Since Eldorado National Forest is a forest, there are large areas where your cellphone won't get any service. Make sure you deal with anything important before you go!