Create your own adorable Elmo character with this Elmo Tissue Paper Pom Pom Monster craft. These Elmo themed pom pom characters are fun and easy to make and use the same concept of the tissue paper flower crafts of years past. They make great decorations for a party or are simply a fun craft to display and be proud of. I love that kids can make them and feel a part of the process.
- Several sheets of red tissue paper ( 8-10)
- Craft wire or pipe cleaner
- White, black, orange and white card stock
- Glue Gun
How to Make Them
- Lay 8-10 sheets of large red tissue paper on top of each other.
- Fold them together in 1 inch segments back and forth, back and forth accordion style until the entire tissue paper surface is folded like a fan.
- Secure the paper in the center with some craft wire or a pipe cleaner.
- Tie a long piece of twine to the craft wire or pipe cleaner.
- Use sharp scissors to cut each end into a rounded shape.
- Gently fan the sides out and carefully pull back each layer of tissue and pull toward the center.
- When you are half way through the stack of tissue, flip it over and pull the layers that have not been spread yet, in the opposite direction.
- Fluff when finished.
- Cut two white circles proportional to the size of your pom pom. For a large pom pom, we used 3 inch circles for the eyes.
- Color a black circle centered in the middle of each white circle to form the pupils of the eyes.
- Cut out a four inch oval out of the orange card stock for Elmo's nose.
- Cut a half circle out of black paper to create the mouth.
- Use your glue gun to glue the paper facial features onto the pom pom. Elmo's nose should layer slightly over the lower portion of the eyes.