Eric Carle Museum, located in Amherst, MA, is a unique museum that displays children's picture books from around the world. The museum was founded by the renowned author Eric Carle in 2002. Mission of the museum is to inspire the love for art and reading books in children.
The museum houses more than 10,000 picture book illustrations. Many events and exhibitions are held at the museum that provide both education and recreation for the families. The museum houses rotating exhibits, a hands-on art studio, and hosts story-telling, daily films and live performances, and appearances by renowned authors.
Things to Do
- The museum houses three galleries with picture books and illustrations, a great resource of many notable children's books, the library provides the reading resources. The library houses a collection of over 4,500 books
- The Gabrielle Healy Carroll story time program is geared towards kids of all age groups, the story time program is free with museum admission.
- Children of all ages can take part in the art studio and create unique master pieces. Activities are available for toddlers.
- The theater presents live shows and short films for the children.
- The Carle Bookshop stocks wonderful books and other gifts.
- Families can have picnic on the grounds outdoor.
- Visit the Carle cafe for some coffee, and healthy and organic, nutritious snacks.
Eric Carle museum Insider Tips
- Photos are not permitted in the galleries.
- Members can avail discounts at the Carle bookshop.
- Visit the official website to know of current events and exhibits.