Create an adorable Ernie Tissue Paper Pom Pom for the Sesame Street lover in your home. These crafts are fun to make and are a twist on a traditional tissue paper flower or pom pom technique. These pom poms make great party decorations or simply great fluffy companions to have around to play with.
- Several sheets of orange tissue paper
- Craft wire or pipecleaner
- Card stock in black, white, red and pink
- Black Marker
- Glue Gun
How to Make Them
- Lay 8-10 sheets of large orange tissue paper on top of each other.
- Fold them together in 1 inch segments back and forth, back and forth accordion style until the entire tissue paper surface is folded like a fan.
- Secure the paper in the center with some craft wire or a pipe cleaner.
- Tie a long piece of twine to the craft wire or pipe cleaner.
- Use sharp scissors to cut each end into a rounded shape.
- Gently fan the sides out and carefully pull back each layer of tissue and pull toward the center.
- When you are half way through the stack of tissue, flip it over and pull the layers that have not been spread yet, in the opposite direction.
- Fluff when finished.
- Next, cut two 3 inch ovals out of your white card stock.
- Draw one 1 inch circle in each of the ovals centered and approximately 2/3 of the way toward the top of the oval.
- Tilt the ovals inward slightly and glue them to the pom pom face.
- Then, cut a 3 inch circle out of red card stock and glue it centered beneath the eyes.
- Estimate the distance from the outer edge of one eye to the outer edge of the other eye and create a half circle with that diameter with your black card stock.
- Then create a small half circle about 2 inches in diameter in pink for Ernie's tongue. Line up the flat edges of the half circles and glue the pink spot onto the black half circle.
- To glue the mouth on, it is best to insert the flat side of the card stock between two sheets of tissue layer and glue in place.