Hop on board the Essex Steam Train and experience the magic of the Valley Railroad that has been in existence since 1868. This historic railroad offers regular and special events throughout the year that are nostalgic and offer exciting content. The Essex Stream Train encompasses the true spirit of New England and it's beauty.
Things to Do
- Dress kids in their jammies and set out to travel on the North Pole Express/ Santa Special. You will take a one hour train trip to the North Pole while being entertained by delightful elves. Helpers will also deliver hot cocoa and sugar cookies to all passengers. This is all as you await the much anticipated visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus who will visit with each child and give them a special gift as a momento.
- Hop on Board with a Day Out With Thomas which includes several family oriented activities and displays for your little train enthusiast.
- Bring your camera. The train scenery is breathtaking.
- Enjoy the leisurely experience of the Dinner Train for a lovely evening of scenic overlook and good food and company.
- Experience both the Steam Train and the Riverboat ride for a 2 1/2 hour journey for a narrated 12 mile round trip excursion through the CT River Valley followed by the serenity of a 1 1/4 hour trip cruising the Connecticut River.
Essex Steam Train and Riverboat Insider Tips
North Pole Express and Santa Special
- Order tickets for the North Pole Express and the Santa Special Early. They become available in August prior to the holiday season and they fill up fast.
- It is possible to reserve a whole care if you have a number of families taking part in the adventure, this is a way to ensure that you will all be together.
- It used to be free seating, but now they are assigning tickets to certain train cars
- It can get warm on the train. The heat is usually blaring.
- Have kids wear their coziest pajamas for this fun and entertaining train ride.