Felt fortune cookies are a fun craft to add a little surprise to anyone's day. Our family made these cute felt fortune cookies as our traditional homemade Valentines a few years ago. We recently pulled out the extra supplies from that craft and had a go at it again but this time for the dinner table and for bagged lunch surprises for each other. There is nothing like the warm and optimistic message from a fortune cookie to brighten your day. Here is a crafty way to add some of that magic to your family's day. The kids had so much fun with creating the messages and assembling the fortune cookies.
- Pipe cleaners
- Sharp Scissors
- Glue Gun
- Printer paper and printer
- or paper and pens
- Optional ( small candy treat)
How to Make Them
- First, create or trace a 4 1/2 inch diameter circle onto your cardboard and cut it out. This will be your circle template for the project.
- Take a sheet of felt in any color and trace as many circles onto the felt as you can fit. Cut out the circles and set aside.
- Cut your pipe cleaner into 4 inch segments and set aside.
- Write out or print positive and fun messages onto your paper and cut them into small strips and set aside.
- Lay out one felt circle on your crafting surface and glue one of the pipe cleaner segments across the center of the circle. Allow to dry. ( you can set up an assembly line of sorts and do several at a time if you like)
- Fold the felt circle over in half so that the pipe cleaner still remains straight.
- Insert the fortune into the middle and press your finger in the center of the folded side of the pipe cleaner and while doing so, push the two sides backward, bending the pipe cleaner and forming a fortune cookie shape.
- If desired, carefully peel back one of the cookie flaps and insert a small candy treat.