The Ferndell Nature Trail is a hiking trail that passes through the Ferndell Nature Museum area of Griffith Park, the largest park in Los Angeles. Despite its name, Ferndell Nature Museum is not a traditional museum, but instead a beautiful nature area home to over 50 species of ferns and a popular trail that winds through the trees all the way to Griffith Observatory, one of Los Angeles' most famous landmarks.
If your family is eager to escape the busy urban atmosphere of Los Angeles, the Ferndell Nature Trail is a great way to get some fresh air and see the immense natural beauty that surrounds the city.
Things to Do
- Visit the Ferndell Nature Museum area. Its numerous shade trees make it a great place to enjoy California's summer weather while avoiding harmful sun rays, plus there's a little waterfall that kids love to explore.
- Hike the 2-mile Ferndell Nature Trail to Griffith Observatory. The walk begins with you being surrounded by trees, but after following the dirt path for a while you'll eventually be rewarded with a superb view of the Hollywood Sign. Once you reach the observatory, you'll be able to see all of downtown Los Angeles.
- Practice your photography skills by taking photos of the fascinating plants and animals you see along the trail. Make sure to save space on your camera for snaps of downtown Los Angeles, the Hollywood Sign, and Mount Hollywood!
Ferndell Nature Trail Insider Tips
- If you're planning to hike the 2-mile trail all the way to Griffith Observatory with young children, you may want to bring along a stroller in case they get tired since it involves climbing a steep hill. Older children should be fine as long as you stop to rest occasionally.
- Hikers planning to do the Ferndell Nature Trail in the summertime should consider going early in the morning or in the evening in order to avoid the intense summer sun. If you do go at midday, make sure to bring along plenty of sunscreen and water.
- Bring along some food for a fun family picnic in the Ferndell Nature Museum area or atop the hill when you reach Griffith Observatory.
- Explore the rest of Griffith Park - it covers over 4,300 acres of land, making it one of the largest parks in the entire country! Learn more about the park from its official website.