Forest Hill Park is a popular 105-acre park in the heart of Richmond, Virginia that borders the beautiful James River. It is located on a site that was once a private estate that was then converted into an amusement park in the early 1900s, with attractions such as a carousel and a roller coaster. After its closure due to the Great Depression, it became a public park. Today, families can enjoy walking around its lake, playing tennis, exploring its wetland, and enjoying features such as a playground, picnic shelters, and a weekly farmer's market.
Things to Do
- Teach your child how to fish by catch-and-release fishing at the park's lake.
- Go for a family walk using the park's many trails while keeping an eye out for local wildlife and features such as a miniature waterfall.
- In the wintertime, visit the park in order to take advantage of its popular sledding hills.
- Take your little one to the playground, where they can play to their hearts' content.
Forest Hill Park Insider Tips
- Check out the South of James Market, a farmer's market held in the park on Saturday mornings from May through November.
- Bring along your tennis equipment in order to play a game or two on the park's tennis courts.
- View the Forest Hill Neighborhood Association's website in order to learn about special events in the park, including live musical performances.