This place is not located downtown and can be easy to miss but it is definitely a must-visit place for the entire family. Fort Menendez features an interactive, kid-friendly experience of learning the history of Florida through exploration of Spanish settlements and Timucua Indian villages. Guided tours are available. You'll come across museum staff dressed in period costumes. Have fun while learning at the same time!
Things to Do
- Visit Fort Menendez and avail of a docent-led tour. You will visit the Timucua Indians, the natives of North Florida, and experience their way of life. Kids and adults are welcome to join activities such as corn grinding, jewelry making, and gardening.
- At the Spanish Colonial settlement, you can participate in candle dipping, rope making, woodworking, and fence building. Kids can also join Colonial games. Check the schedule of the ceremonial cannon-firing and witness the event if you visit during this time.
- Take the kids to the Archaeologist Dig area. They can participate in a mock dig where they will dig and sift through sand to find artifacts.
- Visit the gift shop and purchase handicrafts made from wood or iron. Products sold in the shop are all made in the fort.
Fort Menendez at Old Florida Museum Insider Tips
- Admission is free for kids ages 2 and under.
- If coming with a family of 5, avail of the family discounted rate.