Open to the public since 1913, Franklin Park Zoo is a 72-acre site, nestled in Boston’s historic Franklin Park. Located just four miles from downtown Boston, the AZA-accredited Franklin Park Zoo draws visitors from throughout New England and around the world.
Things to Do
- The Farmyard Area provides hands-on contact with the more commonly seen farm animals.
- Kalahari Kingdom, an awesome Lion habitat where you can see lions up close behind glass.
- Butterfly Landing, open seasonally, is filled with hundreds of butterflies.
- There is a fun Playground and Carousel on the main path for kids to enjoy as well.
- The indoor African Tropical Forest Habitat where you can see Gorillas at play (a must-see);
- And don't miss the Australian Outback where you'll come face to face with wonderful Red Kangaroos.
Zoo New England Insider Tips
- Signage is dismal and these routes are complicated if you don't know where you are going. (Typical Boston, no signs and confusing roadways). GPS or mapping this out BEFORE you go will save you some hassles. View Driving Directions.
- Parking at Franklin Park Zoo is limited, but free.
- The 2011 movie Zookeeper with Kevin James was filmed at Franklin Park Zoo.