Create a Fuzzy Chenille Tailed Squirrel out of acorns and pipe cleaner. Aspiring artists of all ages will enjoy this fun craft which turns items from nature into adorable artistic critters. In addition to being adored as a display piece or a gift, this activity will definitely inspire young children to think outside of the box when it comes to creating artwork out of everyday items.
- 2 acorns
- 2 Brown chenille pipe cleaner
- Glue gun
- Sharpie Marker
- Googly eyes
How to Make It
- Remove the tops of the acorns.
- Use your glue gun to glue one acorn on top of the other sideways with the points facing in the same direction. The top one will be your squirrels' head and the bottom one will be the belly.
- Take a long fuzzy brown chenille pipe cleaner and fold it in half.
- Bend about and inch and a half of each end at 90 degrees.
- Place a blob of glue on the bottom of one of the stacked acorns.
- Stand the pipe cleaner up in the shape of an L.
- Quickly press the glued side against the bottom of the L shaped bent pipe cleaner which will act as the feet of the squirrel. The bottom points of the acorn should be pointed outward away from the pipe cleaner.
- The tall loop in the back is the squirrel's tail.
- Cut a 5 inch piece of thin ribbon and tie it in a bow around and b/w the two acorns, so that a bow is visible in the center of both pointy acorn tips.
- Snip a 4 inch segment of brown pipe cleaner.
- Place a dab of glue behind the "neck" of the squirrel and over the ribbon which is wrapped.
- Wrap the 4 inch segment of pipe cleaner around the back of the squirrel's neck so that it hugs where the two acorns meet. The two ends should be sticking straight out for the arms.
- Use your sharpie marker to color the pointy tip of the top pipe cleaner for the nose. You can also add a few thin lined whiskers.
- Snip two 1 cm segments of pipe cleaner and glue them to the top of the squirrel's head for super fuzzy ears.
- Glue on the googly eyes as well to finish the face.