In terms of State Parks, the Gantry Plaza State Park is one in Queens and right by Manhattan that is recommended as a great day activity for you and your little ones. The park, which spans 10 acres, first opened in 1998 before being expanded in 2009. The park is also famous for offering some of the best views of Manhattan from Queens. Part of the park used to be docks and still features a number of industrial landmarks and monuments to the site's former function. Despite the area's industrial past, the park is very clean, peaceful, and beautiful.
Things to Do
- Feel like relaxing with the family? Why not take in a spot of fishing during the warmer months? There is a pier dedicated to fishing for you and your family to visit.
- Relax and enjoy the view. Parts of the park look over the river to midtown and the United Nations Headquarters.
- Check out the famous Pepsi-Cola sign which, since being moved from the bottling plant, now features permanently in the Gantry Plaza State Park.
- Do you and the little ones love sports? There are basketball and handball courts if you feel like having a few games.
- Make use of the outdoor game tables.
- Let the little ones run around in the park's playground.
Gantry Plaza State Park Insider Tips
- You can save money by taking some food along and having a picnic at one of the park's picnic tables rather than paying for food in cafés, diners, delis, or restaurants.
- Dogs are welcome in the park, so why not take the whole family along, including your furry friends.