The Gaston County Museum of Art & History is housed in a circa 1852 building and is part of the National Register of Historic Places. The museum can be found in Dallas, North Carolina, within a 10 minute drive from Gastonia, and approximately 30+ minutes from Charlotte.
Things to Do
- Attend their Concert at the Courthouse events - where you can watch a concert free of charge!
- See the permanent and rotating exhibits in the museum. The permanent exhibit features the Hoffman Hotel, a hotel built in 1852, and shows you what the hotel rooms are like in those days. Also shows carriages (yes, of the horse & carriage kind) used before automobiles were widespread.
- Attend some of their educational programs - there's one for every age group: toddlers, kids/tweens/teens (summer camp & scouts), and even for adults. Check their website for details and exact dates of the programs.
- Window shop at their gift shop or bring home souvenirs from your trip.
- Join in a tour of the Dallas (North Carolina) Historic District - see the historic buildings and learn more about their history.
- Become a member of the museum - not only do you get the perks, you get to help the museum through your donation too.
Gaston County Museum of Art & History Insider Tips
- You can celebrate parties and other events at the museum, only available from 1-3PM, see their website for more details.
- If you're a researcher, you can contact the museum a few weeks in advance to get access to information and to conduct your research for more information
- If you have an heirloom piece - be it everyday objects such as furniture, or art (ie textiles), the museum posts guidelines on their website to help take care of them so other generations can enjoy them.