The Genesee Country Village & Museum is a living history museum in Mumford, New York, which is just 20 miles away from Rochester by car. Its most popular attraction is the Historic Village, a working 19th century country village with over 40 buildings that feature costumed interpreters who will teach you all about life in the 1800s through live demonstrations, games, and craft activities. Other highlights include the beautiful heirloom gardens, a replica 19th century base ball park, and the confectionery, which sells delicious handmade treats.
Things to Do
- Explore the Historic Village, where you can visit the pottery shop, the copper shop, the blacksmith shop, and more as you learn all about history from the museum's interpreters, who wear traditional 19th century clothing.
- Go for a stroll through the heirloom gardens, which contain hardy crops grown in the 19th century, fruit trees, roses, lilies, peonies, and medicinal plants.
- In the summertime, attend a historic baseball game in Silver Base Ball Park! You'll be transported to the past as you watch the umpires in their top hats and purchase snacks like birch beer and peanuts.
Genesee Country Village & Museum Insider Tips
- View their calendar to learn about upcoming events such as nature hikes, antique sales, and other family-friendly activities.
- Don't forget to stop by the John L. Wehle Gallery, where you can see all kinds of fascinating artwork related to wildlife and sports.
- Get some exercise as a family by going on a hike on one of the museum's nature trails, which lead through woodlands, wetlands, and fields.