George Eastman house is a U.S. National Historic landmark that was built in 1905, the historic house belongs to the founder of 'Eastman Kodak", George Eastman. The house encompasses the world's oldest museum of photography and one of the world's oldest motion picture preservation and collections. George Eastman House international museum of photography and film is located in Rochester, New York, the museum was opened to public tours in 1949. The museum houses a remarkable collection of 400,000 photographs, some dating back to the invention of photography, 23,000 films and other historic collections. The museum is open to public tours Tuesday through Sunday.
Things to Do
- Families can enjoy self-guided or docent led tours of the museum, tour the historic house and see the Photography exhibits.
- See exceptional photographs from the past, see the history of photography exhibit and see the first ever Kodak camera made in 1888.
- See a variety of classic motion picture collection, the collections date back to 1913, enjoy film screening in the Dryden theater.
- The house tour will take you through the beautiful urban house, having 37 rooms complete with vintage furniture, furnishings and decorative art.
- The Eastman estate grounds comprise of lawns, trees, shrubs, vines, gardens, pools, and terrace garden.
- Families can enjoy some creative skills together in the Discovery room.
- The museum cafe serves baked goods, soups, salads, sandwiches, and desserts. Museum store stocks toys, books, apparel, jewelry, and gift items.
George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film Insider Tips
- Children aged 12 and under are admitted for free.
- Free public WIFI is available.