Known to many as the Mother of American Modernism Georgia O'Keeffe was amongst the most innovative and influential American painters in the first half of the 20th Century. Her most famous works revealed a deep fascination with Modernist photograpy and she painted recognizable natural forms and buildings in recognizable but idiosyncratic ways. In the second half of her life she spent much time in New Mexico living and painting. Now to honour her legacy and that of American Modernism in general the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum stands as a testament to the many achievements of both the woman and the movement.
Things to Do
- Over a third of the roughly 3,000 works which the Museum holds came from O'Keeffe's own collection of her own work. She held onto pieces which she thought defined her best as an artist and it is these works that one has the pleasure to see on a visit to the Museum.
- Besides this there are works by over 140 other modern and contemporary artists of note such as Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Arthur Dove and Sherrie Levine.
- Docent led guided tours of the Museum are available twice daily at the times of 10:30 am and 2:00 pm; there is no extra charge and no need to book a reservation for these tours. Audio tours cost $5 and it is also possible to organize tours for school trips and large groups.
- The Museum also maintains O' Keefe's old house at Abiquiu where tours can also be organized by calling 505.685.4539
Georgia O' Keefe Mueum Insider Tips
- The Museum is fully wheelchair accessible and strollers are also permitted inside. There is however no tripods, flash photography, movie or video cameras, food and drink alllowed inside.
- Youth and students 18 and under can enter the Museum for free.