If you have an interest in art from the American West there is no better place to view impressive works than at Tulsa's Gilcrease Museum. It is home to the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of art from the American West. The Museum was opened in 1949 and since that time it has continued to grow and add to its collection in order to maintain its reputation as one of the finest centers of American art in the country.
Things to Do
- The Museum's impressive collection is a joy to explore. Its collection of Native American art and artifacts is unrivalled and they have a steadily growing collection of works from Central and South America also.
- This collection is not just made up of art works but of historical documents, maps and other things too. All of it is fascinating to browse through.
- The collection is not the only reason to visit the Gilcrease Museum. 23 acres of the landing surrounding the main building have been transformed into themed gardens. They make a lovely place to have a walk or a picnic.
Gilcrease Museum Insider Tips
- There is a restaurant at the Museum which is open from 11 am to 3 pm. They make some tasty lunch options and the dining area has a nice view of the Osage Hills. It makes for a nice place to eat either before or after your visit to the Museum. You do not need to pay the Museum admission to eat at the restaurant.
- The Museum and the restaurant are closed on Mondays.