Prepare to be amazed at the breathtaking views and the intricate details of this 24 room mansion of Gillette Castle on the stunning state park grounds. This medieval castle was designed and built by William Hooker Gillette who was the actor who made Sherlock Holmes famous. You tour the castle independently, but very knowledgeable docents are available throughout the castle grounds to answer questions and to provide inside information to enhance your visit.
Things to Do
- Picnicking, Hiking, kite flying, photography, historical discovery as you tour the castle itself.
- Gillette loved trains and built a railroad around the castle on the grounds. Walk the path of the historic train tracks as you hike the trails and peruse the grounds of the park.
- The castle has many unique and peculiar features that Gillette designed with hidden passages and mirror system etc. so there are many areas of marvel to discover and uncover on your trip.
- Watch a short museum film of the life of William Gillette.
Gillette Castle Insider Tips
- The ferry ride over to Gillette State park offers beautiful scenic views of the castle.
- With scenic park views overlooking the Connecticut River, and the exquisite unique structure of the castle itself, this is a fantastic location for a photo shoot. Whether amateur or professional, bringing a camera on this trip is definitely a must!
- BBQ areas are available in the picnic areas.
- There is a concession stand available by the visitor center if you would like to purchase food on site.