The Gilmore Car Museum is an automobile museum located in Hickory Corners, Michigan, which is located approximately 2 hours away from Detroit by car. Since 1966, the museum has displayed one of the largest collection of vintage automobiles in the area. Visitors can also explore historic buildings such as a diner and a train station and view all kinds of automobile artifacts, including children's pedal cars and automotive mascots. If you love cars, you'll certainly want to stop by.
Things to Do
- Visit the set of the 1967 film The Gnome-Mobile, which is the only movie set that has ever left Walt Disney Studios, as well as the 1930 Rolls-Royce Sedanca Deville which was used in the film. Both were given to the museum's owner by his friend Walt Disney.
- View the huge collection of automotive mascots and look at the rare motorcycles and automobile-inspired artwork on display throughout the museum.
- Check out the recreation of a 1930s Shell Gas station in order to see what gas stations were like back when a gallon of gas cost just 18.5 cents.
Gilmore Car Museum Insider Tips
- Stop by George & Sally's Blue Moon Diner, a historic roadside diner that dates back to 1941, where you can enjoy delicious treats like ice cream and pie.
- Check the museum's calendar before you visit to find out about upcoming car shows and festivals.
- Attend one of their annual Wednesday Night Cruise-Ins, when visitors can bring their collector cars to the museum and enjoy oldies music and food from the diner.