Grow yourself a few Grasshead Friends for a fun lesson in how things grow as well as a fun little craft. Children of all age ranges will enjoy creating these adorable little characters from recycled stockings. The anticipation will build as they learn to care for a plant and learn how seeds grow.
In about 4-5 days, the grass on your Grasshead Friends will begin to sprout. Water them lightly each day and enjoy the excitement of watching the grass hair grow over a period of days and weeks. Watch it grow long, and consider having a barber shop activity and give them a trim.
- Footed Nylon Stockings
- Elastic Band
- Small clay pot or a cup
- Grass Seed
- Potting Soil
- Googly Eyes
- Glue Gun
How to Make Them
- Snip off about 6 inches off the end of each of the foot portion of your stocking.
- Take each stocking and push the end into a shallow cup and fold the cut ends over the rim of the cup.
- Use a spoon to place about 3 teaspoons of grass seed into the stocking.
- Next use the same spoon to scoop dirt into the stocking covering up the seed. Fill until is is slightly bigger than a tennis ball.
- Pick the stocking up and tie off the end with a knot of an elastic band. Make sure that it is tied tightly around the ball of dirt and seed.
- Flip the ball of dirt over and set it in the cup or pot with the grass seed side up.
- Use your glue gun to glue on googly eyes.
- Cut out a nose and a mouth out of felt. Attach these and any other accents to the front of the stocking.
- Sprinkle the top with water and set pot or pots in a nice and sunny spot.
- Expect your first sprouts of hair in about 4 or 5 days.