Toy train enthusiasts are sure to have an amazing time at the Greeley Freight Station Museum. Inside they will find the Colorado Model Railroad Museum which has on display a stunning 5,500 square foot operating model railroad. The Museum hop that matching this amazing display with other exhibits and educational programs in a family friendly environment will help encourage a love of model railroad building in newcomers and give veterans plenty to enjoy.
Things to Do
- The main attaction of the Museum is undoubtedly the gigantic centerpiece display which took 30,000 hours of volunteer labor spread over five and a half years to create. The numbers involved with this miracle of toy train modeling along are awe-inspiring.
- Roughly 30,000 hand sculpted trees decorate the mountainsides overlooking the railroad which in total uses over twenty scale miles of track. There are 2,500 cars on these tracks at any one time. Visitors can walk in and around it while the track is actually in operation and is a memorable sight whether or not you have a developed interest in model railroads.
Greeley Freight Station Museum Insider Tips
- If you would like to indulge your love of Toy Trains with other enthusiasts you could join a model railroad club. The Museum has helpfully compiled a list of clubs on their website, one of which could be located near you.
- The Museum only opens on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during the winter months though its days are extended to include Wednesdays and Thursdays during the summer months. Children under three are granted free admission year round, there is also a discount for kids under 12, seniors and military.
- You can find the full layout of their impressive Oregon, California and Eastern Railway model line on their website along with all the relevant specs and stats.