Hangtown's Gold Bug Park & Mine is a 61-acre historic site and mine attraction in Placerville, California, which is located approximately 45 miles northeast of Sacramento. Its most famous attraction is the historic Gold Bug Mine, which dates back to 1888. Visitors to the park are welcome to take a tour of the mine, learn about the importance of blacksmiths during the Gold Rush, enjoy gem panning, and hike its beautiful nature trails. If you're interested in spending a fun-filled day learning about California's gold mining history, then take a trip to Hangtown's Gold Bug Park & Mine.
Things to Do
- Go on a self-guided tour of the Gold Bug Mine, which was used for hard rock gold mining. You'll learn all sorts of fascinating information about the mine as you explore while wearing a hard hat.
- Stop by the miner's Blacksmith Shop, where you can see trained blacksmiths work and learn about how important their profession was during the Gold Rush era.
- Visit Hattie's Gold Rush Museum! It features informative displays on mining complete with old mining equipment, as well as geological displays with rock samples you can look at and touch.
Hangtown's Gold Bug Park & Mine Insider Tips
- Bring along a picnic and enjoy eating in the great outdoors - you can sit in the covered Liberty Claim Pavilion or one of the park's smaller picnic areas.
- Wear some hiking shoes and explore the 2 miles of trails in the park - you can pick up a map from the gift shop. Make sure to stay on the trails in order to avoid poison oak.
- Don't miss Hattie's Gift Shop, where you can purchase souvenirs like books, photographs, gold samples, t-shirts and jewelry!