Hold a fun family relay or play this entertaining twist on a relay race at your next party. Adults and children of most age groups will have a blast with this unconventional Backyard Popcorn Cup Relay Race.
This game can be played with 2 or more players. The object of the game is to fill a cup that is strapped to your shoe with popcorn and race to buckets or boxes at the end of the racing area where you will dump the contents of the popcorn from the cup into a bucket, box, or bowl.
The race continues as a relay where participants try get the cup to the container without spilling much popcorn. The team with the most popcorn in their box when the bags of popcorn are depleted win the game.
- Plastic cups
- 2 cardboard boxes or buckets
- wide rubber bands
How to Make and Play
- Use a thumbtack to poke holes in the bottom of plastic cups.
- Push a wide rubber band through the holes that you made with the thumbtacks.
- Slip a paperclip through the portion of the rubber band that you have pushed through the hole inside the cup.
- To play the game, make two teams.
- The first players on each team strap cups on her shoes and fills them with popcorn from a bag at the starting line.
- Place 2 buckets next to each other about 50 feet from the starting line.
- At the sound of GO, players scurry across the yard and race to the boxes and dump their popcorn into the baskets and race back.
- When they reach back to the starting line, players transfer the popcorn cups to the next person in line.
- The race continues alternating back and forth until the bags of popcorn at the start are empty.
- At the end, measure the popcorn in the baskets to see which team got the most in their baskets and they are deemed the winner.