Hunting Island state park is a beautiful park in South Carolina that attracts more than a million visitors each year. The state park is very popular among the locals and the tourists, and many families throng the state park for adventurous activities, such as camping and picnic.The hunting island lighthouse is open to public access and visitors can enjoy breathtaking and unique views of the Atlantic coast from the lighthouse.
Things to Do
- Families can enjoy camping at the state park, camping locations are available at the northern end of the park near the ocean. You can make a camping reservation by calling in or online. Camping is available in winter months.
- The historic lighthouse is a symbol of the state park, it was built in 1875, and it has 167 steps and a top deck for viewing. The light house is open to public year-round, it gives great panoramic views of the Atlantic ocean and the surrounding forest.
- Families can have a great day out at the state park, enjoy fishing at the fishing pier, seasonal boating facilities, volleyball at the beach, and a playground for kids that is located in the camping site. Picnic shelters are available for reservation, picnic tables are scattered through out the park.
- There is an 8-mile long hiking trail for walking, running and biking. There are special nature trails for walking and enjoying birds and other wildlife. There are aquariums and animal exhibits at the nature center.
- Hunting island state park has 5-mile of beaches, while strolling on the beach, you can spot loggerhead turtles and dolphins, and in dry areas, deer and racoons can be spotted.
- A park store is located in the camping ground that stocks grocery, snacks and souvenirs. The park store is open year-round. Buy exclusive gifts from the lighthouse gift shop.
Hunting Island State park Insider Tips
- Pets are not allowed in camping areas or cabins.
- Families can enjoy discounts with many online deals at the official website.
- WIFI is available at the campground store and the park's visitor center.