ImaginOn: the Joe & Joan Martin Center is an inspiring cultural center whose main aim is to challenge young minds and drive them to express themselves in many different forms. The facility came about through a collaborative effort between the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library and the Children's Theatre of Charlotte. Today it provides a place for toddlers and teens alike to experience and take part in a raft of cultural activities and events designed especially for them.
Things to Do
- If your child has any interest in acting ImaginOn is where that interest could flower into a love for the theatre. The Center offers children's theatre classes led by professional theatre instructors, performers, directors and playwrights. Regular productions of their works are shown at the Center's Mc Coll Family Theatre and at their Wells Fargo Playhouse.
- The Loft is a space designed solely for teenagers. If you are between 12 and 18 you can go for free to the Loft's library to find the latest teen books, graphic novels and play scripts recommended by the Center's theatre staff.
- The Loft regularly hosts different events and is also useful for study. On Sundays it turns into a study zone and they also make practice SAT exams available to visitors.
- Studio i can be used by kids, teens and adults alike to create animated or live action movies. Here visitors will learn how to be proficient in essential programs like Garageband, iMovie, Final Cut, Stop Motion Pro and more.
- The Studio has everything that is needed to shoot films, edit and sound mix providing a great opportunity to learn and create.
ImaginOn: The Joe & Joan Martin Center Insider Tips
- If you are unfamiliar with Charlotte or just unsure of how to get to the facility ImaginOn have helpfully uploaded a map with directions onto their website. They also prvide maps of the main level and the upper floor of their facility.