Indian Well State Park is a 153-acre recreation area located less than an hour's drive south from Hartford, Connecticut. It is best known for its beautiful waterfall, which is named Indian Well due to a local Native American legend. The park is also popular due to the many shady picnic spots it provides alongside the Housatonic River. Other activities include swimming, fishing, boating, and hiking along the scenic Paugussett Trail which extends outside of the park.
Things to Do
- Go for a family hike along part of the 9.2-mile Paugussett Trail, which passes by the Indian Well waterfall and offers spectacular views of the Housatonic River.
- Enjoy fishing in Lake Housatonic! Common catches innclude smallmouth and largemouth bass, perch, sunfish, and catfish.
- Escape the summer heat by swimming in the cool waters of the Housatonic River.
Indian Well State Park Insider Tips
- Lifeguards are generally on duty from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. from Memorial Day through Labor Day in order to help keep swimmers safe.
- The park also has a boat launch that you can use to take your personal watercraft out onto the lake from April through September.
- Bring along some food and enjoy a picnic in the shade by the river - grills are also available for those wanting to have a barbecue.