The Indiana State Museum is a museum dedicated to the history, science, art, and culture of the state of Indiana from the prehistoric to the present. Located in White River State Park in Indianapolis, this museum features diverse exhibits that introduce visitors to the fascinating history of the Hoosier state. It also has an IMAX Theater which shows educational films as well as Hollywood blockbusters. If you're looking for a family-friendly attraction where visitors of all ages can learn about Indiana and have fun, take a trip to the Indiana State Museum!
Things to Do
- Explore the museum's core galleries, which focus on Indiana's geology, geography, paleontology, archaeology, and cultural history.
- Check out the museum's temporary exhibitions, which often include beautiful artwork, fascinating historical exhibitions, and cultural artifacts of all kinds.
- Consider visiting some of the state's historic sites, such as the nearby T.C. Steele historic site featuring the beautiful House of the Singing Winds that an Indiana artist built with his wife.
Indiana State Museum Insider Tips
- Parking is located in the underground garage at White River State Park - make sure to get your ticket validated so that you only have to pay $3! Best of all, parking is free if you're seeing an IMAX film.
- Save money by bringing your own lunch instead of purchasing food from the cafe. You're welcome to eat in the museum's School Lunchroom.
- Watch a movie in 3D in the museum's IMAX Theater! You can usually choose between seeing an educational film or one of the latest Hollywood blockbusters.