The Indianapolis Zoo is a zoo, aquarium, and botanical garden located in White River State Park in Indianapolis, Indiana. The zoo is home to approximately 250 different animal species that live in simulated natural habitats called biomes. Its exhibits include the Deserts Dome that's home to adorable meerkats and spiky lizards, a Tiger Forest with beautiful Amur tigers, and the International Orangutan Center which is home to eight orangutans that can be viewed from above on an aerial ride!
It's hard to run out of things to do at the Indianapolis Zoo - in addition to all the land animals, you can also see rays and sharks in the aquarium, and watch an exciting show in the Dolphin Pavilion. If that's not enough, there's also a beautiful botanical garden to explore, which is filled with fascinating plants and lively butterflies.
Things to Do
- Explore the zoo - there are dozens of animals to see, including baboons, lions, porcupines, lizards, owls, cheetahs, sea lions, and polar bears!
- Go for a ride! The zoo has a carousel, a roller coaster, a train ride, and more. Learn about all the rides, animal shows, and other entertainment offerings here.
- Make it a day to remember with a Dolphin In-Water Adventure - you'll get to spend over 30 minutes in the pool with dolphins. You'll learn how to feed them and signal to them, as well as getting to interact with them!
Indianapolis Zoo Insider Tips
- Save money by purchasing advanced tickets online - admission prices vary depending on the day and are subject to change at any time, so the best way to get a low price is by purchasing tickets before you arrive.
- If you're planning to spend the whole day at the zoo, bring along a picnic lunch to eat at midday. Make sure to get your hands stamped when you get the food from your car, then enjoy your meal at the picnic tables in the Entry Plaza and re-enter the zoo when you're finished!
- Explore the beauty of Indiana's plants and flowers at White River Gardens, a botanical garden next to the zoo that's included in the zoo admission price! It conservatory is especially popular due to the 40 species of butterflies that flit around plants and visitors alike.