Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens is a natural area maintained by the National Park Service on the outskirts of Washington, D.C. near the Maryland border. This beautiful 700-acre nature area features hiking trails, sports fields, and wetland areas filled with gorgeous water lilies.
If you're looking for a way to escape the hustle and bustle of Washington D.C. and explore the natural beauty of the District of Columbia, spend a day at Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens for a fun family day out.
Things to Do
- Visit the park early on a summer morning in late June or July to see the stunning water lilies and lotus flowers before they close due to the midday heat. Don't forget your camera!
- Take your kids to play soccer or football on one of the park's athletic fields, located at Burroughs Street and Kenilworth Avenue NE.
- Go bird watching at the Aquatic Gardens - you can see tiny songbirds in the spring and summer, plus plenty of ducks and larger migratory birds in the wintertime. The park is also home to plenty of wildlife, including deer, foxes, and turtles!
Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens Insider Tips
- Hike the River Trail with your little ones - it's less than a mile long, and leads you into a cool shady area next to the gorgeous Anacostia River that's perfect for a picnic.
- Check the Events page of the park's website to learn about events that are taking place during your visit. The park regularly offers exciting activities such as bird walks and hikes focused on animal tracking.
- Dogs are welcome to join in on your family visit to the park - just make sure they're on a leash.
- Bring a water bottle along to stay hydrated in the summer heat. You can always refill it at the visitor center.