Kiawah is a barrier island with 10 miles of beach located in South Carolina. The town has been converted to a resort community with hotels and villas alongside residential properties. A gated resort complete with luxurious accommodations and amenities occupies a third of the island. Several condominiums and villas are also found outside the gate.
Things to Do
- Go on a nature tour and explore the island on your bike. Follow the different bike trails that run throughout the island. The bike trails are flat and are separated from regular vehicle traffic. It's safe even for kids to bike. Just watch out for the alligators in the lagoons.
- Play golf and tennis at the Kiawah Resort golf course and lawn. After an intense game, visit The Sanctuary Spa for an invigorating massage.
- Spend a day at the Beachwalker Park, the public beach access at Kiawah. The beach is wide and compact so you can also ride your bikes on it. The larger part of the beach is accessible only for guests staying at the Kiawah Resort. The water is warm and the waves are great for water sports such as paddle boarding, beginner surfing, and kayaking.
- Get a wildlife exploration package that suits you. You can find alligators, learn about birding, spot butterflies, or go on a nature photo walk.
- Check Kiawah Resort's website for the schedules of various activities that your entire family can participate in. Samples of Family Activities include a game Disc Golf at the Night Heron Park and GPS Island Hunt.
Kiawah Island Insider Tips
- Make sure to check if the condo or villa that you booked is inside the gated area. Reservations made with villas outside the gate does not include access to resort amenities.