A puzzling challenge is always a great addition to a magic show and makes for fabulous family fun. The fun part of challenges like this one is that every family member can give this one a try even after the big reveal. The object of this activity is to tie a knot in a shoelace or string without letting go of the two ends of the string. This seemingly impossible task has a simple but astounding solution
- A shoelace or a piece of rope or twine
How to Do It
- Lay a shoe lace on the table and ask an audience member to volunteer to accept a challenge.
- Ask your volunteer to pick up one end of the shoelace in one hand and pick up the other end of the shoelace in the other hand.
- Ask them to tie a knot in the rope without letting go of the rope with either hand.
- They will see this as an impossible task.
- To accomplish this task cross your arms with one hand coming over the top and one coming out of the bottom.
- Now, pick up each end of the rope with your hands in this way.
- Unfold your arms and proudly show off the knot that you made in the shoelace!