A fun family weekend does not always mean going over budget. The Knoxville Art Museum offers a view into the arts scene in East Tennessee featuring local artists' work, for free! The three-storey museum is smaller compared to other art museums but the goal of KMA, to educate and reach out to the public to promote the arts in the region, is achieved by the carefully chosen and put together works of art.
Things to Do
- See all the current exhibits featuring works of glass art, Thorne's Rooms with a display of miniature replicas and dioramas, contemporary art from East Tennessee artists, and the Cycle of Life showcasing one of the world's largest glass-and-steel works. Aside from the recent work of arts, go back in time through the visual arts collection portraying how art in Tennessee evolved from a century ago.
- Visit the Kids' Room and keep them entertained with hands-on activities. KMA also offers Family Fun Day twice a year, a day when families can mingle with artists and participate in various art activities. Contact the museum for the schedule.
- The museum is host to Alive After Five, a regular event with live music and dancing. Visit the museum's page for the schedule.
Knoxville Museum of Art Insider Tips
- The museum is located at the World's Fair Park, across the Sunsphere. Make it a day tour by visiting both. Free admission to both sites.
- Free parking is available.