La Jolla Cove is a small beach tucked away between sandstone cliffs. Known for its rich beauty and marine/wildlife, this north facing cove is one of the most photographed beaches in Southern California. The Cove is a part of La Jolla Underwater Park, meaning it is an ecologically protected area. La Jolla Cove is often abound with bright orange Garibaldi, the California state fish.The water is calm enough that water visibility can sometimes exceed 30 feet. The name La Jolla, meaning "The Jewel" in Spanish, is fitting for this gorgeous beach scene.
Things to Do
- Swimming, sun bathing, scuba diving and snorkeling are the most popular activities to partake in at La Jolla Cove.
- You can enjoy bird watching and photographing wildlife.
- Explore the marine rich tide pools during low tide.
- Many people come to observe the seals who are known to gather in this area.
- La Jolla Cove is close to La Jolla Caves.
- Scripps Park is in the area above the cove with picnic tables and room for frisbee and other fun outdoor activities.
- Restaurants and shops are very close to the cove.
- Simply sit, relax, and enjoy the sunset.
La Jolla Cove Insider Tips
- Life guard on duty 9am to dusk year round.
- No surfboards, boogie boards or inflatable devices are permitted as it is a marine refuge area with specific restrictions in order to protect marine life.
- No fishing or collecting seashells as it disturbs the ecosystem.
- No glass containers and no smoking.
- Restrooms and showers are available.
- No dogs allowed from 9am - 6pm (until 4pm during the winter).
- Pay attention while swimming! Many seals!
- Parking can be very tough to find so public transportation is a good option. There are hotels within walking distance.
- This beach is very small so it can get crowded quickly. Playing for younger children can become difficult with the close quarters.
- If you are looking forward to snorkeling, between June and November would be a good time to go as Leopard Sharks (harmless) are abound in this area during that time.
- Sand is rough so beach shoes are suggested.