The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is a public botanical garden located in Austin, Texas. This University of Texas at Austin research institution studies over 700 species native to central Texas and provides the public with a place to enjoy beautiful natural landscapes. Its features include numerous gardens and trails, an arboretum, ponds, an observation tower, and public art exhibitions. It is a great attraction for families wanting to get outside and explore Texas' natural beauty.
Things to Do
- Visit the Family Garden, which allows children to learn about and interact with nature while exploring a shrub maze, viewing bird nests, climbing on tree stumps, and playing in the water.
- Check out the Butterfly Garden, a special outdoor habitat which features numerous plant species that attract butterflies.
- Explore the meadows in the springtime when they fill with hundreds of beautiful wildflowers.
- Learn all about Texas trees by visiting the Texas Arboretum.
- Go on a family nature hike using one of the center's five beautiful trails.
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Insider Tips
- Don't miss the public artwork on display, including paintings, sculptures, and photographs by local artists.
- Make sure you take some time to climb to the top of the observation tower, which provides impressive views of the surrounding area.
- Check out their list of family-friendly events such as children's programs, art exhibitions, educational lectures, and sidewalk sales.