10 miles of trails border Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin and serve as a social hub for runners, walkers and cyclists. A Memorial at Auditorium Shores honors the late bluesman Stevie Ray Vaughan. The scenic trail runs through lush green parks and peaceful lakes and is a great place to bike, hike and run.
Things to See & Do
- Walk, run or bike - it's just a great place to spend time outside while in Austin. On hot days, the option to take a cool swim after a long run is refreshing.
- The boardwalk that opened recently is a nice addition to the paths, and provides great views of the city while walking directly over the lake.
- Rent a kayak or a paddle board, or take a boat tour, or just sit and enjoy watching the boats on the lake.
- Electric bikes are available to rent from Rocket Electrics to ride the bike trail.
- Take a kayak tour to see the Congress Ave. Bridge bats as they leave the bridge at dusk with Live, Love, Paddle kayak tours.
- Bring lunch and enjoy a picnic along the lake.
Lady Bird Lake Hike & Bike Trail Insider Tips
- Make sure you fill up on water before you get past Lamar heading on the southside toward the Longhorn Dam because there is no water and no bathroom until you get all the way past the boardwalk to S. Lakeshore.
- The bathrooms that are available are clean.
- It is much less crowded on the Longhorn Dam end and you can loop from Lamar and skip all the MOPAC people and the boating rentals on the North shore which can be very crowded on weekends.
- It gets very dark at night - best to go in a group.