The largest lake in the Minneapolis' Chain Of Lakes, and in the whole of the city for that matter, Lake Calhoun is an extremely popular destination for families and fans of the outdoors during the summer months. Millions of visitors flock to the lakeside to enjoy the water, the shoreline and the park areas surrounding it.
Things to Do
- If you and your family enjoy being active on sunny days then you will have plenty to do at Lake Calhoun. There are over 3 miles of path open for cyclists, skaters, roller-bladers, joggers and walkers. Then of course there is the lake itself where you can fish, canoe, kayak, wind surf and swim.
- There are three beaches on Lake Calhoun. One on the North side of the lake, another known as Calhoun Thomas Beach to be found at the south end and Calhoun 32nd Beach on the east side. Head to any one of these if you are want a bit of relaxation. Do be warned though that they fill up super quick during the summer.
- If you fancy a bit of education to go along with your enjoyment of nature then head to the west side of the lake. Here can be found "The Bakken: A Library and Museum of Electricity in Life". The Bakken has a focus on young people and is dedicated to the study of electricity and electro-magnetism.
Lake Calhoun Insider Tips
- You can catch a great view of the Minneapolis skyline from the Lake so don't forget your camera!
- There is no doubting that the Lake is a lovely day out but if you are bothered easily by being amongst a lot of people it may not be for you, especially if you go during the summer months. If you want something a little more tranquil then the Lake of the Isles may be more to your liking.