Lake Hefner is a man-made lake in Oklahoma City that was built in 1947. It is one of the area's most popular recreational areas due to its marina, golf course, fishing docks, playgrounds, ball fields, and extensive bicycle trails. Its boat ramps allow visitors to enjoy activities like boating, sail boarding, and fishing on the lake. Lake Hefner is also a very popular sailing area, and is frequently used for exciting sailboat races on weekends between April and October.
Things to Do
- Explore the area on foot or by bike using the Bert Cooper Trails, which surround Lake Hefner. There are drinking fountains and portable toilets along the way if you need them.
- Take your child to the playground or the ball fields to have fun and get some exercise.
- Visit the Lake Hefner Golf Course to work on your putting and driving skills.
- Go fishing! Lake Hefner is a popular recreational fishing area, with species such as bass, channel catfish, walleye, crappie, and bluegill.
- Enjoy the fresh air and beautiful views while sailing or boating on Lake Hefner.
Lake Hefner Insider Tips
- Bring along a pair of binoculars so that you can go bird watching during your visit - many aquatic bird species pass through the area each year as they make their annual migrations.
- Don't visit the lake planning to go swimming or camping, as neither activity is allowed.
- Consider bringing along some food and having a picnic or barbecue at the lake - picnic shelters and tables, as well as grills, are available for public use.