As a recent winner of the #1 Family Friendly Zoo Award, you won't be surprised to find out that the Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, Florida, is an ideal destination for families and children who love animals. This zoo is more than just looking at animals. There are even interactive exhibits, shows, play areas, and various eateries and concessions for a wild day out!
The zoo has been part of the Florida landscape since the late 1950s when it first opened with much fewer animals and exhibits than you'll see today. Over the years the zoo's collection of animals grew and grew. Rides and attractions were added during the 1970s and 1980s and today the park consists of a great variety of things for you and your family to do.
Things to Do
- Take the kids on the Tasmanian Tiger Family Coaster. This ride may be a bit timid for the bigger kids and adults but the littlest ones need to be only 36" tall to ride.
- Ride the jungle carousel. You and your little ones can climb aboard creatures such as elephants, cheetahs, or manatees and go for a ride.
- Enjoy a safari tour on the Expedition Africa Guided Tours. Here you'll get to see plenty of animals from within the zoo's open-air tram.
- Take in a show. There are a variety of shows and talks going on at the Lowry Park Zoo. Be sure to check the schedule and plan your day accordingly.
- Play around in the Manatee Fountains or Billabong Fountains water play areas. These are great ways to cool off during the warmer months.
Lowry Park Zoo Insider Tips
- Be sure to find out what's happening at the zoo by checking out the calendar of events on the website.
- Head along to the park early to beat the crowds. Any time before midday is advised. On days with special tickets prices you can expect the zoo to be quite busy.