Discover the magic of salt paintings! In this art project, you will draw a magical creature of your choice and paint it with watered down paint. After painting, you can sprinkle the painting with salt crystals and allow it to dry. During this process, the salt granules will bring the paint inward toward the crystals. This will move the paint around the paper so that it gives a lovely mottled design.
Use this same process to create scenery etc and glue onto black paper as a backdrop to create a gorgeous contrasting scene. You can also use chalk to add accents to the black paper.
- Heavy card stock paper
- Fine tipped marker
How to Make It
- Draw a magical creature of scene on a piece of paper. Some ideas include unicorns, rainbows, dragons, stars, wizards and more.
- Use you paintbrush to paint your picture or creature with watered down paint.
- Next sprinkle a generous amount of salt over the wet paint.
- Allow the paint to dry.
- When the paint is dry, brush away any excess salt.
- Use a thin black marker to draw and accentuate special features of your magical creature.
- Cut out your creature along the original lines or your drawing.
- Create some other scenery for your picture in the same manner that you made your main creature.
- Glue the magical creature to the background,