The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum is a transportation museum in Portland, Maine. It features a wide variety of fascinating exhibits and artifacts related to railroad history and also offers fun train rides on historic rail cars. Most of its exhibits are related to the narrow gauge railways that were used throughout Maine in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The museum also frequently provides children's programs and special events that are fun for the whole family.
Things to Do
- In the summertime, climb aboard the Ice Cream Train, a special evening ride on a historic train complete with delicious ice cream.
- Take your little one to the museum for Children's Story Time, a weekly event designed for preschoolers that includes stories and train-themed crafts.
- Go for a ride on the Polar Express from Thanksgiving through Christmas! This special event includes a festive train ride complete with hot chocolate, cookies, storytelling, carol singing, and a visit from Santa.
Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum Insider Tips
- If your teen is fascinated by trains, they can spend an hour as a diesel or steam guest engineer and help operate one of the museum's historic locomotives!
- Don't miss their exciting Pumpkin Train celebration each fall, which features train rides, hot cider, cookies, and pumpkin painting activities.
- Consider purchasing a family pass if you plan to visit often - it includes unlimited train rides and museum visits for a family of four for the entire year.