MainStrasse Village is a historic district located in Covington, Kentucky, less than 2 miles south of Cincinnati, Ohio across the Ohio River. It is known throughout the area for its fun-filled annual Oktoberfest and Maifest celebrations which are based on traditional German festivals.
There's plenty to see and do in MainStrasse Village no matter the time of year. It's a great place for families to spend a day walking around, eat at a new restaurant, and do a bit of shopping.
Things to Do
- Explore the historic district of MainStrasse Village on foot by taking the walking tour which can be printed from the official website's main page. The detailed guide will tell you all about area architecture and history, including the beautiful Goose Girl Fountain, which was inspired by the Brothers Grimm fairy tale of the same name.
- Take in some nightlife - the Village is home to restaurants and bars that often provide live entertainment, as well as coffee shops and art galleries. Visit the Dee Felice Café Wednesday through Sunday after 5:00 p.m. for live jazz music and cajun food!
- Go shopping in the Village's small specialty shops. There's a toy shop, a pet shop, the only full-service magic shop in Kentucky, and many others. Don't miss The Candy Bar, a local favorite where kids can choose from over 200 different types of candy.
MainStrasse Village Insider Tips
- If you're visiting in May, go to Maifest, MainStrasse Village's free event which is based on a German tradition which welcomed the first spring wines. Attendees can try arts and crafts and eat their fill of the tasty traditional German and international foods that are available. Don't miss the Kinderplatz and Amusement Midway areas, which are filled with fun attractions for children of all ages.
- Check out MainStrasse Village's annual Mardi Gras Celebration! Family-friendly activities include live music and two fun parades, plus beads available from local businesses and delicious cajun food.
- Enjoy a family dinner at one of MainStrasse Village's many restaurants. There's everything from pizza to pub food available, including homemade German dishes from Strasse House! Check out the Eat in MainStrasse page for more information.