Create your own fairy wings out of coat hangers and nylon stockings. This craft is great for dress up activities and little ones will have a great time personalizing their magical fairy wings. Soon you will have fairies fluttering all around your yard and home.
- 4 heavy duty wire hangers
- 3 pair of stockings
- Glue Gun
- Glitter, sequins etc.
- Spray adhesive
- Fake Flowers
- Wide ribbon
How to Make Them
- First you will need to straight your wire hangers. To straighten the hooks, unwrap the twisted spiral tops, stretch the wires into straight pieces, and flatten out kinks with pliers.
- Use one wire for an elongated oval shape or two hangers for a rounded shape. Bend the wire into the desired shape and twist the ends together when you’re done, leaving some excess sticking out so that you can attach this to the other wings in future steps.
- For the second upper wing, repeat step 2 using the first wire as your guide.
- Repeat this step again 2 more times but make these two lower parts of the wings slightly smaller than the first two.
- Connect all four of the wing segments together in the center by twisting the inside portions of the wing segments together. There is no need to be concerned about how the center looks at this time, for it will be covered later on in the project.
- Stretch the leg of a stocking over each wire loop. Feed a wing into the stocking, stretch it to the center, cut it to the appropriate length, grab the open end on either side, and tie it over the center of the wire. Repeat with the other three wings.
- Cut a large wide piece of ribbon and wrap and around the center of the wire loops.
- Use glue and glitter and feathers and sequins to decorate your magical wings.
- Cut two more legs off of stockings and carefully hot glue each of them to the center so that there is still an opening. These will be your arm holes so that you can wear your wings.
- Use your hot glue gun to glue some fake flowers on the other side of the ribbon in the center of the fairy wings.
- Spray adhesive over the wings to prevent runs in the stockings.