Watch as Science and Art come together as you make and use Microwaveable Puffy Paint. Mix together a few ingredients from your baking cupboard, use it as your would any other paint, and cook it up in the microwave for a fun chemical reaction that is much like baking bread. You see, that baking powder combined with the salt makes the flour and water rise and get puffy when it’s cooked! Adult supervision is needed for using the microwave, but this activity is fun and appropr
- White cardstock
- Food coloring
- Plastic bags or squeezable condiment containers
- 2 cups of flour
- Cold water
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
How to Make It
- Mix 2 cups flour with 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- Add water a little bit at a time until the consistency becomes like that of a cake batter.
- Scoop the mixture into bags of equal amounts. We used condiment containers because we had them on hand.
- Add a couple of drops of food coloring to each baggie, seal each baggie and squish around the mixture with your fingers.
- Snip a very very small hole in the corner of each bag when you are ready to use that particular color paint.
- Squeeze the bag of paint over your card stock paper and decorate the paper any way that you would like.
- Place your painted paper flat and into the microwave for 30-40 seconds.
- Allow time to cool.