Market Square is a popular shopping district located in downtown San Antonio, Texas. This rich cultural area, known as "El Mercado" to locals, is the largest Mexican market in the United States. In addition to its seemingly endless selection of outdoor stalls that sell items like handcrafted leather belts, artwork, pottery, glassware, and clothing, the square is also surrounded by unique shops where you can find even more locally-made products. Take the whole family to Market Square on the weekend for a fun-filled day of shopping, delicious food, and exciting cultural events.
Things to Do
- Go shopping! El Mercado is full of wonderful souvenirs and beautiful handmade Mexican cultural items. You can view the full list of shops here.
- Try some authentic Mexican or Tex-Mex cuisine at one of the many restaurants and food stalls located in Market Square. See the full list of dining possibilities here.
- Enjoy the festive charm of Mi Tierra Cafe & Bakery, which features a wide selection of Tex-Mex dishes accompanied by live mariachi music!
Market Square Insider Tips
- Check out Market Square's events page to learn about upcoming Mexican cultural festivals you can attend with your family. They generally feature live music, arts and crafts, and delicious treats.
- Even if you don't want to purchase anything, stop by El Mercado just to enjoy the live music and look at all the interesting things that are for sale.
- Make sure to bring your camera with you - if you're lucky you'll get to have your picture taken with the famous Mexican Elvis!