Martha's Vineyard is a large island south of Cape Cod in Massachusetts that is known throughout the United States as a popular summer tourist destination, especially for the rich and famous. Only accessible by boat and plane, Martha's Vineyard becomes a bustling summer colony in the warmer months due to its gorgeous beaches and serene outdoor activities. U.S. Presidents, famous writers, and Hollywood actors spend their vacations here, so you know it must be pretty great.
Things to Do
- Build a sandcastle, relax while sunbathing, or go swimming at one of the many area beaches.
- Visit Mytoi, a serene Japanese-style garden known for its winding trails that pass through beautiful flowers and plants.
- Explore the island by visiting its five lighthouses, including the Aquinnah Lighthouse, which provides spectacular views of the ocean and nearby islands.
- Learn more about local history by visiting the Martha's Vineyard Museum, which focuses on art, culture, and history.
Martha's Vineyard Insider Tips
- Check out this calendar of local events to learn about everything from farmers markets to festivals, museum exhibits, walking tours, and outdoor activities.
- If your family loves fishing, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, and other recreation activities, there are tons of different opportunities to take part in these activities on the island.
- Need dining recommendations? You can find a complete list of restaurants, cafes, pizza places, delis, and ice cream shops here.