The Mattress Factory is a contemporary and modern art museum with a bit of a difference as the rather unconventional name may suggest. Here you will find no guards and few barriers, the art works and installations fill the space around you inviting you to really experience them rather than simply seeing them. They have seventeen permanent exhibitions and various rotating pieces from international and local artists. They also provide educational programs for young and old.
Things to Do
- On the first and third Saturday of the month there are one hour interactive drop in tours which are free with paid admission provided by Museum educators; they are a great way to acquaint yourself with the museum and its approach.
- Also on these days the Factory holds its ARTLab. Here visitors get the chance to design their own artwork or interact with the exhibits in a more hands-on and engaged way; it is also free to take part in the ARTLab with paid admission.
- The Mattress Factory makes a point of being a different kind of art museum. To that end they make a real attempt to make their exhibits as accessible to children as possible. This is not the kind of snooty, boring environment that looks down on little ones, instead they so want kids to be involved that they even make a family fun guide full of activities to do with the works available to their younger clientele.
- They also have a parent guide which has tips for parents on how to make a visit more enjoyable for children.
Mattress Factory Insider Tips
- Admission is free for children under the age of six. It is half price for residents with the 15212 zip postcode.
- The Museum is closed on Mondays and for certain holidays.