Mayfield Park and Preserve is a popular outdoor attraction in Austin, Texas that is known for its beautiful gardens and colorful peacocks. The 21-acre Mayfield Preserve features numerous walking trails and wildlife habitats that visitors are welcome to explore. It is also home to Mayfield Park, which contains a historic cottage and its two acres of gardens that are known for their serene ponds filled with lily pads, turtles, and fish. However, the park's most popular residents are its two dozen peafowl, which you can see up close all year long.
Things to Do
- Visit the peafowl! Springtime is the most exciting time of the year to visit, since the peacocks fan out their beautiful tails in order to court the peahens early in the spring.
- Walk through the cottage gardens and look at all of the beautiful lily ponds, which are arranged in the shape of a flower.
- View the fascinating artwork that is featured throughout the park.
- Go on a family nature hike through the preserve in order to see all kinds of interesting wildlife.
Mayfield Park and Preserve Insider Tips
- If you're interested in seeing the recently hatched peachicks, try to visit the park early in the summer.
- Make sure to be respectful of the peafowl - remember to give them space so that you don't frighten them.
- Bring along some food and enjoy a relaxing picnic surrounded by nature.
- Don't forget your camera - you'll definitely want to take photos with the peacocks.