The McCreary Community Building is the recreation center of Perry, Iowa, a town located about 40 miles northwest of Des Moines. If your family is looking for ways to escape the summer heat or get some exercise while in the Des Moines area, then it is the perfect place to visit.
This recreation building features indoor and outdoor pool areas, a weight room, fitness rooms, racquetball courts, a gym, and a theater, as well as numerous exercise programs like yoga and water fitness, meaning that there's something here for every single member of your family.
Things to Do
- Stay cool in the pool! Adults can do laps in one of its six lanes, older children can do flips and jumps from the diving board, and little ones can splash gleefully in the shallow play area. There's also an outdoor splash pad and sundeck that are great to enjoy on a nice summer day.
- Play a game or two of racquetball or walleyball with your family on one of the building's designated courts.
- Take a class! Fitness classes offered at the McCreary Community Building include aerobics, yoga, spinning, water fitness, and Pilates.
- Relax at the pool on Sunday as part of the weekly Float Day program. Everyone is invited to float around the pool between 1 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. on their preferred flotation device.
McCreary Community Building Insider Tips
- If you have small children, visit the pool Monday through Friday between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to take part in Family Swim Time! In addition to swimming and splashing in a family-friendly atmosphere, you can take part in special activities that are fun for swimmers of all ages.
- Become a member if you live in the area; it will save you a lot of money on admission fees. That said, daily user fees aren't too expensive - it's just $3 for youths and $5 for adults!
- Do your children need to learn how to swim? Take them to Red Cross swim lessons, which teach children how to swim as well as how to be safe in and near water.