The McNay Art Museum is the very first art museum in Texas, first opening its doors to the public in 1954. Before then, the art belonged to the personal collection of famous heiress Marion Koogler and her husband Sgt. Don Denton McNay. Their personal collection of French Impressionist paintings has evolved to include Medieval and Renaissance art, the Tobin Collection of Theatre Arts, and a fine exhibition on Jeanne and Irving Matthews Collection of Art Glass.
Tour the museum, which is inside the glamorously large Spanish Colonial estate that once belonged to Koogler and McNay, and enjoy the modern works of Paul Villinski next to classics like Manet, Van Gogh, and O'Keefe. Throughout the year, the McNay hosts a range of different events for adults, children, and families. Check the calendar and find lectures on classic and modern films, different family programs including ArtStrolls, and a backstage peek at local theatre productions with the Tobin Center for Performing Arts.
Things to Do
- ArtStrolls: Once a week, from 10am to noon, families, toddlers, and caregivers can enjoy a themed tour of the museum. Bring your strollers and baby carriers and enjoy the collection of art amid child-friendly games, storytime, and art projects.
- Second Thursdays: At McNay, free music, art, food, and drink reign supreme on the second Thursday of every month (except December). Either a local band or a local DJ will perform for guests as they lounge on the grounds, enjoy food from local food trucks, beer from local vendors, and a free tour of the museum from 4pm-6pm
- Get Reel Film Series: Once a month, McNay hosts a viewing of a film, usually a classic or vintage film, with a wine reception. Reception starts at 6pm and precedes the feature film.
- Oui Wednesdays: For adults only, this weekly program will familiarize you with French culture, art, cuisine, and lifestyle. With a different theme each week, you are bound to learn something new! Each class comes with a free tour of the museum unless otherwise specified.
- Lectures and Exhibition Talks: Throughout the year, McNay hosts lectures and exhibitions talks on the various works featured in the museum. Depending on which artists are featured and what your favorite artist or art style is, take a look at their calendar and plan your visit around your favorites.
McNay Insider Tips
- Don't forget about the gardens! The art is just as beautiful outside the museum as it is inside, so take time to stroll through the garden and enjoy the sculptures and fountains.
- For free admission, visit the museum on the second Thursday of every month or during their Family Day, which is offered a few times throughout the year.