Kids can create beautiful long lasting sun catchers using pony beads and a little creativity. We chose to use the grill to complete the melting of this project because the smell of melting plastic indoors is rather strong. If you have small pans that fit into a toaster oven, that will work well too. You can create a collage of color or carefully arrange beads into pictures, patterns or designs. These sun catchers make great gifts and look lovely sparkling in the sunshine on your porch or in a window. While these are easy to make, adult supervision is required for the bead melting and use of the gas grill.
- Round Cake Pan or Muffin Tins
- Translucent Pony Beads
- Gas grill
- Optional: fishing line and drill
How It's Made
- Line the bottom of either muffin tins or a round cake pan with translucent pony beads in one single layer, patterned to your satisfaction.
- Carefully move the pans so as not to disturb the beads that you have arranged.
- Cook on the gas grill for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Cool completely and the sun catcher will pop right out leaving no residue from the beads behind.
- Use a dill bit if you'd like to drill a small hole in the top and add string or fishing line to hang as desired.